Friday, April 17, 2009

A "Little" Peace...I'll take "ALOT", Thank you very much!

I heard this song several weeks ago and it continues to play over & over in my head. I usually take that as a spur from the Holy Spirit to think about what He is trying to say.

Some people try to listen, to the bottom of a bottle
Some people try to listen, to a needle in their arm
Some people try to listen, to the money in their pocket
Some people try to listen, to another’s arms

Some people try to find it with blind ambition
Some people try to find it where no one else has gone
Some people try to find it in the crowns of victory
Some people get defeated and lose the strength to carry on

You and I are not that different
We got a void and we’re just trying to fill it up
With something that will give just a little peace
All we want is a hand to reach to
Open arms that say I love you
We’d give anything to hear
The voice of a Savior

Some people try to find it in the shadow of a steeple
Some people try to find it in the back row pew
Some people try to find it in the arms of Jesus
That’s where I found it, how about you?

...a void we're just try'n to fill up with something that will give just a little peace. Isn't that what we are searching for? A "little" P-E-A-C-E? When our marriage is crumbling, when our kids are out of control. When our income is stretched and it is still not enough. When cancer is rampant and sickness has no discrimination - We want peace and we grab the first thing that seems to give a "little". Anything that will just get us through the moment; To handle life and all that it throws at us, we settle for a "little" PIECE of anything ignoring THE PRINCE of PEACE of everything.

Well...I tell you, I have found that this little piece that promised BIG PEACE has left me empty, guilty, shameful and down-right miserable! I know the major players: alcohol, drugs, sex, money.

But what about the little "pieces" we really don't want to admit: Food, Shopping, (okay I'll be bold & say it) Smoking, gambling, etc...

We settle for any quick fix that will calm us, relax us, and motivate us not to deal with this thing called life. Do we ever stop to realize (and please know I am writing this for me, but if you can relate, even better) that we are robbing GOD from doing what he does best. HE IS THE PIECE THAT WILL GIVE THE ULTIMATE P-E-A-C-E!!!!!

Numbers 6:22-26

'This is how you are to bless the Israelites. Say to them:
"The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace."

Father, you are the Prince of Peace. The knight in shinning armor that so wants to come and sooth me and comfort me. I ask for your forgiveness, Father, because I know many times circumstances have been orchestrated by you...and you have waited in eager expectation to come and meet with me. To save me. To hold me close and shower on me peace that passes all understanding (Phil 4:7). But I could not wait, so I turned to a quick fix. Oh, Lord, you are the only medicine that will cure my anxieties. Turn your face toward me and give me peace. You're all I need. Amen.

Jaime

No comments: